AUTHOR:<$BlogCommentAuthor$> Jeremy's Knit-a-bit: My Three Afghans

Jeremy's Knit-a-bit

Saturday, August 05, 2006

My Three Afghans

I really love afghans therefore I am always wanting to knit one. So when I became separated from my husband I knew it was time to get rid of the afghan his grandmother gave us as a wedding gift (she didn't make it, it was acrylic, and the colors were from the 70's). That was when I started the divorce afghan (I don't know the name of the pattern and it fit the situation). It consists of 12 blocks knit in 3 strips. Each block is a different pattern. I have worked on it off and on over a year and I am exactly half done. Some of the patterns don't make for mindless knitting so at times it needs focused attention.
My 3 Afghans
The next afghan is almost done, in fact I haven't wanted to finish it because I have enjoyed making it. It started when a friend of mine was knitting a baby blanket at a swim meet and I loved her pattern along with it being semi-mindless knitting. I got the pattern called Pure and Simple from Fiber Trends Easy Baby Blanket pattern collection 2 and am making it using Lamb's Pride bulky (oatmeal on size 10-1/2 circulars. I couldn't get all the yarn at once because my LYS only had 5 skeins in stock. I decided to risk it because it was for myself and I wanted something quick for the long swim meet that was that weekend. Now if you look closely in the picture you can see where the dye lots changed. In June, I solved the problem of not wanting to finish it by deciding to make a second afghan using the Waves of Blue pattern from the same booklet. This time the color is Blue Magic. When I am done with that I may make a small version of the last pattern in Pistachio for my bedroom. None of my knitting bags were big enough to hold my Pure and Simple afghan so I went to Target and bought this beach bag for under $10.beach bag

One of my goals this summer was to felt. I had actually knit this Kitty Pi bed for my cat Smokey a year ago. But I got involved with selling my house and moving I never got around to felting it. This summer when I was going through my stash and unfinished projects I found it. So I threw it in the wash and lo and behold:
kitty pi It was so simple I started making these little felted totes. "Cousin It" (the orange one made with 1 skein of Lambs Pride worsted, orange & 1 ball Crystal Palace Squiggle, circus) is finished except for the button, next is "Stars and Stripes" (1 partial skein each Cascade 220 in blue, red, and white and 1 skein Moda Dea Zing, pearl) which needs a strap and some star buttons I am going to sew on and then "Firecracker" (I'm using more Cascade 220 and Lion Brand Fun Fur) which I have almost finished knitting. I almost had them done for the 4th of July but didn't so now they have been put aside for the time being. I also picked up some Patons classic wool and Lion Brand Fancy Fur for another bag My 3 Bags

I should have named my blog the ADHD Knitter. I jump from project to project without finishing many of them. I do want to list them later. Maybe the list will motivate me to finish one or two. Of course I went to my LYS to pick up some needles last week and I also end up coming home with this:baby rimini The picture doesn't do the color justice and it is so soft. I am going to make a hooded cardigan for my teaching partners baby which is due in October.

© 2006 Jeremy. "Pointy Sticks" template by Faces of Yve.